Tuesday 4 May 2010

Turquoise Diamonds



Monday 3rd May

When I arrived in Sandwich ten days ago ready to canvass with my 'Tory Rosette', I felt a little out of place. There was I in my 'Royal Blue', but the place was a flurry of turquoise; turquoise rosettes, turquoise banners, turquoise posters. Laura had even organised a set of turquoise windcheaters! Seemingly and for reasons known only to Central Office, the election colours have moved around the colour spectrum, which is why Surrey Heath is now similarly coloured with the diamond posters above!

I've been out a fair bit in recent weeks and have seen doorstep opinion shift with almost every news bulletin - and certainly with every Leader's Debate - with the result that voter apathy is the main concern I have as we move toward Thursday. MP expense abuses still resonate among the consciousness of pensioners with their £2 per week increases; Centre politics just aren't appealing to the disaffected and disillusioned; And most worryingly, a legion of people I've spoken to hadn't then - and will not - register to vote.
I can see a time when, like the Australians we are compelled to vote. But until that time and like last year I'm urging every Tory (and 'P') I speak to to get out and get into the polling booth.
The prospect of a LibLab future is simply too desperate to contemplate.

No comments:

Post a Comment