Friday 3 September 2010

Lt John Sanderson.



Tuesday August 31st


Local Windlesham man, Lt John Charles Sanderson, 29, of 1st Battalion The Mercian Regiment, was on patrol in Nahr-e-Saraj, Helmand province, on July 13 when he was caught in a bomb blast.

I happened upon Conrad & Helga at the Half Moon Pub about a month ago to a very sombre mood owing to the news of Johns terrible injuries sustained on tour. John succumbed to his injuries soon thereafter and on Tuesday, his funeral took place at St John the Baptist Church in Windlesham.

I didn't know John Sanderson. But I know a lot of people in this part of the world who did and I stopped at the Half Moon again to see Conrad & Helga as the wake was winding down. Both knew John very well and clearly felt a great sadness, although his life was clearly being celebrated as evidenced by the large attendence of guests.

Its difficult to know what to say. As I have mentioned elsewehere on this blog, I am proud that we in the UK have a superb professional volunteer Armed Service. And I am grateful that capable, determined men and women like John continue to volunteer to carry out dangerous but necessary work in some of the most challenging conditions on earth.

I take a little comfort in knowing that these courageous men and women have the opportunity to do something they love.
But I also have two sons.
And I don't know quite what I would do if I lost one or both of them.


My thoughts, such as they are worth, are with John's family.






Online Memorial
http://www.friendsatrest.com/tributes/text_only.php?ID=3543

Help For Heroes
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/