Tuesday 16 March 2010

Lesser Spotted County Council Gritter


Wednesday 10th March

Today I found myself up at County Hall for a couple of meetings including the 'Snow Wash-Up'.

Chaired by Mrs Lavinia Sealy and Lt Col David Ivison (Rtd), the review was aranged to place officers in the chair in order to determine performance during the January snow. A full report will be forthcoming, but what I found to be of particular interest among the several hours of questions were the comments regards the 'rationing' of resources by our Chief Executive Officer, David McNulty.

Notwithstanding the ongoing financial implications for Local Government in general, I found the 'rationing' comment to be somewhat alarming. We aren't in Post-War England after all. The rationing is in part imposed upon us by Central Government and part down to the reactive way in which the County allocates resources. This latter point has to be the formula when we are talking of the considerable capital sums involved; and basing a need upon 20 years of seasonal figures is logical, but the lack of flexibility concerns me.

I shall therefore be welcoming the idea of keeping more stock than required and for having a far far better contingency plan in the future and I shall be taking these themes and the final report to the borough wash-up for further discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment