Friday 29 January 2010

Business in Bagshot

Tuesday 26th January

As a man with a business in Bagshot, I was cordially invited to the inaugural meeting of the recently formed 'Bagshot Business Association'.

This is a project that the ubiqitous Glyn Carpenter has had in mind for quite some time - we have discussed it at length for at least eighteen months - and I was keen to support the project in order to emulate what the 'Lightwater Business Association' does for Lightwater.

The meeting was very well attended by about 25 business owners and I certainly felt a surge of enthusiasm by members keen to work together and drive Bagshot up the ladder in terms of a place to do business.

It was a timely event. I was able to subsequently complement my attendence at this meeting by joining Borough Councillors and local business leaders at the Surrey Heath Business Breakfast the following morning. During the meeting I asked the Leader of the Council, Cllr Moira Gibson about a subject close to the hearts of the BBA - that of car parks. The BBA reported a drop of about 20% in trade since the imposition of charging in the Bagshot car park, which I duly reported to those present. Moira reminded us all that a review of those charges was to take place in October once a years data had been collected.

Afterwards I discussed the subject with the SHBC Car Parks Manager, Ron Matthews, who was keen to point out that the machines - in addition to taking money - also provided the sort of data that would enable further accuracy in determing charges in the future. Ron also promised me some new signs, due in February.

No comments:

Post a Comment